Pages

Posted on: Monday, 21 July 2014

OLD SCHOOL HANGOUTS.

Sunshine

When I was younger I'd spend each and every Saturday in town. Occasionally we would venture from our typical spot in the centre and head to the nearby park. It was often filled with teens rather than families, and there was definitely some underage drinking going on - but hey, at least we weren't on the street corners. I visited this park a lot when I was younger, but it was just a place to go, rather than somewhere to appreciate. Last month I headed there on a sunny day with my friend Penner, it was the first time I'd been there in about six years. If you had told my 15 year old self that I probably would have been mortified that I had not kept up my *promise* of going every summer. But when I think back to that promise, I wonder why I never kept it, or why it's taken me six years to go back. I really did take my old school hangout for granted, I mean look at it - it's beautiful. 



What I like most about this park is that even though it has your typical basketball and tennis courts, kids playgrounds and a lake, it's smack bang in the middle of the city centre but you really wouldn't think it. It kind of reminds me of a mythical forest, with every new path leading to a new adventure. This park is filled with nostalgia for me, but it makes me remember not only the good times, but also how beautiful certain parts of my city can be. Plus, the sun really helped - so that was nice too.
Do you remember where you hung out as a kid?

Bekka x

Bandstand

Leazes

Geese

Flower

4 comments:

  1. Hahah hanging out in park - oh I know it well! The same spot at the same times, everyone gossiping and sipping WKD or Smirnoff Ice!

    This park looks lovely, I love a good bandstand, but am always slightly nervous as I remember them being a prime spot for more hardcore people than myself x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love hanging out at the park too! :) there's always a sense of nostalgia every time I pass it.

    Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to love walking through that park one the way back from the city to my university housing, going all through the trees - totally takes you away from all the crowds and the traffic. The parks back in my hometown were never exciting though - for kids or teens to be honest, we use to hang around under the old abandoned railway tunnels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to have a huge park in the centre of town with climbing frames and a roundabout! (which was stupidly dangerous but any way...). We only went there maybe a few times a year as an afternoon treat. Instead we used to go to the park out in the countryside with sand and a huge lake you could walk around and many ducks to feed. I was hoping to get a chance to visit again whilst at home but sadly not. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, it would be lovely if you left a comment!


 photo copyright.jpg