Pages

Posted on: Monday, 14 July 2014

GRADUATION


It feels weird to be writing about such a momentous occasion on what is primarily considered as a travel blog, but as I said in my introduction post, when everyday life takes me on an adventure I'll write about that too.

Many of you won't know, but for the past three years I've been studying Magazine Journalism at university. I always thought I wanted to be a music journalist, but as the years have progressed I've realised that while I like writing about music, I'm not so sure that it's for me, professionally anyway. I like to be positive in reviews, or at least constructively critical, but I've found the world of journalism prefers you to be much more harsh and negative, it often thrives on the basis of hate and that's something that doesn't sit quite right with me. And unlike most people, I really didn't like university. I hated my course and the way it was structured, and there were only a few modules that we took that I thought were any help. The social aspect was great, and though I made some great friends the likelihood of us being "friends for life" is slim, and that's really quite sad.


But I don't want this post to be a negative one. I want it to be a timestamp, a memory, an achievement; because after three years of hard work, ups and downs and a couple of tears I finally graduated and have a degree with a 2:1 classification. Phew. One thing I will take away from my time at university is that I am not a quitter. I managed to continue to do something my heart was no longer in, and for a while it was so people wouldn't judge me or think badly of me, but then it was because I realised I was too stubborn to quit anyway. I didn't want to be beaten by something I had voluntarily chosen to do.

That's the main reason I decided to put this on the blog. You shouldn't have to put yourself through something if it doesn't make you happy, and you shouldn't do something to make someone else happy if it has a negative affect on you. A lot of decisions I have made in the past few years have been as a result of other people's advice or opinions. I have ignored my gut feelings and instincts and it's always ended up being me who has dealt with the backlash. Completing university made me see that I should trust myself more, and that I shouldn't be afraid to take chances and to see where they lead. Sometimes they won't lead anywhere, but sometimes they will lead you down the best path where you'll come across the best people and memorable experiences. I don't know what my plans are for life, but here's to graduating and being completely education free. The only plan I have is to listen to my gut, so let's see where that takes me.

Bekka x



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! No matter where you intend to take your life and future from here, it's still a fantastic achievement!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, it would be lovely if you left a comment!


 photo copyright.jpg